Community & Public Affairs Section : Media Releases | Media Spokespersons | Published Freedom of Information Requests | Journalism Students

VPD Fugitive Task Force Helps Arrest Suspected Rioters

Inspector Les Yeo announced today the Integrated Riot Investigation Team (IRIT) has been augmented by resources from the Vancouver Police Fugitive Task Force, to arrest suspected rioters that have been formally charged and have outstanding arrest warrants.
Members from the Vancouver Police Fugitive Task Force have been brought in to assist with arrests of those hard-to-find individuals who think they can evade charges.

Inspector Yeo says, “We won’t be backing off this investigation and neither have the public. Since our Riot Round-up poster campaign on November 16th, we are still seeing three to four tips a day come in from the public.”
This morning, the VPD Fugitive Task Force arrested one of the targets identified by IRIT investigators.  
The Fugitive Task Force was formed in 2010, to help identify, locate and arrest the most elusive criminals with outstanding warrants.  Over the past year, they have located and/or arrested over 200 fugitives.  The Task Force uses tried and tested investigative strategies, resources, tactics and dogged determination to find those that are trying to evade arrest.
Meanwhile, more riot charges have been approved by Crown.
Eight charges against two more suspected rioters have been approved. 
Facing charges are:

John Sawicki
19 year old Surrey Resident
Court File 11- 223500
Charges Approved Friday, December 2nd

  • participating in a riot
  • mischief over $5000 – two counts
  • arson

Ryan Dickinson
20 year old Coquitlam resident
Court File 11- 223507
Charges Approved Monday, December 5th

  • participating in a riot
  • mischief over $5000 – two counts
  • breach of undertaking

“Once charges have been approved by Crown, we will be moving swiftly to see that suspected rioters are brought to court,” says the officer in charge of the riot investigation, Inspector Les Yeo. Twenty-three of the first 27 people  formally charged have now either turned themselves in or been arrested.