A 46 year old Vancouver man remains in custody after police found a gun and drugs during a traffic stop.
At about 3:30 yesterday afternoon, police stopped the man in the 700 block Burrard near Alberni Street driving with an expired insurance decal. The officer quickly learned that the driver had no licence and was allegedly breaching bail conditions related to an offence that occurred three weeks earlier.
Further investigation lead to drugs and a 40-calibre handgun found in the car.
Warren Anthony Johnson has been charged with the following:
- possession of a firearm contrary to prohibition order
- possession for the purpose of trafficking (four counts)
- tampering with the serial number of a firearm
- unauthorized possession of a firearm
- possession of a restricted or prohibited firearm with ammunition
- possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
Johnson is well known to police and has a lengthy criminal history. He remains in custody until his next court appearance.