The VPD believes that circumstances exist to warn the public that Cameron Eugene Ratelle is residing in Vancouver and poses a risk of significant harm to the safety of young women, particularly those 16 to 25 years-old.
Thirty-eight-year-old Ratelle is a federal offender who has been convicted of a sexual assault against a person under the age of 18, as well as university women living on campuses in Ontario. The VPD was advised on May 15th that he would be living at a Vancouver halfway house.
The Correctional Service of Canada has assessed Ratelle as a moderate to high risk for violent and sexual re-offending. Since becoming aware of Ratelle’s presence in Vancouver, the VPD’s High Risk Offender Unit has reviewed his recent behaviour, and believe that a public warning is prudent.
Ratelle is described as black, 5’8″ tall, 185 lbs., with a stocky build, shaved head, brown eyes, and he often uses hearing aids. He is currently bound by his statutory release, which include several conditions:
- not to go on the property of any educational institute or school [including university campuses]
- not to be in the presence of anyone under the age of 18 years of age without permission
- abide by daily curfew from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- not to possess, purchase or consume alcohol or non-prescription drugs
- not to possess, purchase or access pornography
- not to access any internet site or access any computer
- must reside at a community correctional centre or community residential facility
Anyone who sees Cameron Ratelle in violation of any of these conditions is asked to call 9-1-1.