The Vancouver Police Department greatly appreciates the stories and courage of the survivors and families of victims who have helped to shape the final report from the national inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.
Police in BC have made progress over the past decade in building relationships with Indigenous communities, but there is a lot more work to do. The VPD recognizes that there are systemic issues within the city, province and country that have resulted in disproportionate police interaction with Indigenous People, and led to increased vulnerability of Indigenous women and girls. Police have a role to play in ending the violence, death and unexplained disappearances of Indigenous women and girls and 2SLGBTQQIA people.
The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police provided input into the inquiry as a party with standing and represented police agencies in Canada. The VPD created a report outlining the VPD’s interactions with Vancouver’s Indigenous communities. At the crux of VPD’s initiatives has been a desire to formulate meaningful relationships that can help the VPD learn and grow and to inform and guide the VPD’s public safety policies and initiatives.
We are reviewing the final report and recommendations and will work on a response, in consultation with Vancouver’s Indigenous communities and our public safety partners, to help end violence against Indigenous women and girls and 2SLGBTQQIA people.
Search VPD Media Releases
Latest Media Releases
- VPD renews search for missing man with dementia
- IIO investigates VPD after man dies in fall from West End apartment
- Vancouver Police seek information in early morning stabbing
- Vancouver Police seek help to identify suspects in violent 2018 home invasion
- Vancouver Police investigate shooting in Oppenheimer Park: Police express concern about safety in the park
- Vancouver Police renew call for help to find missing man
- Wanted sex offender arrested by police
- Vancouver Police And The Whitecaps FC Partner For 30th Annual Youth Soccer Camp
- Vancouver Police Investigate Serious Assault To A Man In Wheelchair
- Vancouver Police Search For Missing Man With Dementia
Media Release Archives
- Our #VPD officers finished the Four Days Marches in Holland yesterday, thrilled to complete the challenging task of… https://t.co/s8Phd21IC3 about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's the Global Day of Inclusion! Head to your nearest@TimHortons and purchase a #specialolympics donut. Proceeds e… https://t.co/MFuK7l1XNa about 15 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite